You may run into this:
- You are sharing files between two Windows 7 computers on the same network.
- You go into the Network and Sharing center and turn off password protected sharing.
- You try to access the shared resource from another computer and it still prompts you for a username and password.
Here’s what I did to solve it. On the computer that hosts the shared resource:
- Make sure the Guest account is not disabled
- Make sure the Guest account does not have a password. To make sure of this, go into Local Users and Computer and reset the Guest account password. Give it a blank password.
- Make sure the Guest account is not denied access from the network. To do this, go into Local Security Policy and drill down to Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment. Look for a policy called “Deny access to this computer from the network.” If the Guest account is listed there, delete it.